The Herndon Foundation supports:
- Educational organizations, all levels including preschool and vocational.
- Scholarships, based on need, with a preference for students from the public school system and for students who would be first in their family to graduate from college.
- Cultural organizations.
- Humanitarian organizations.
Preference is given to charitable organizations that primarily benefit the Greater Richmond community.
Guiding principles for Herndon Foundation grant making include:
- The Trustees prefer the Foundation’s grants to be used for programs rather than for annual funds, operating support or adding to endowments or endowed funds.
- The Trustees wish to make grants to organizations which will use the grants to achieve measurable results consistent with the grant request and will report those results honestly and in timely fashion.
- The Trustees may make grants in any manner they decide, at one time or over a designated pledge period.
- The Trustees may initiate grants from time to time.